A Dermal Clinician is a professional who has completed the University degree of a Bachelor of Health Science (Dermal Therapies). Dermal Clinicians are specifically trained and qualified to the highest level to be able to operate and assist in therapeutic and cosmetic application of skin treatments as well as the non-surgical rejuvenation of the skin including the operation of laser and light based equipment. Dermal Clinicians bridge the gap of services between Beauty Therapist and Dermatologist.
The Bachelor of Health Science Dermal Therapies is exclusive to Victoria University and is the only degree of its type in Australia.
The Dermal Therapies degree covers units ranging from:
- Dermal anatomy and physiology
- Health science research
- Dermal science
- Laser and light based modality regulation, occupational health and safety and physics
- Laser and light based procedures ( laser hair removal, tattoo removal, pigmentation and vascular treatments, IPL, photo dynamic therapy, ablative lasers and high intensity lasers (class 4)
- Peel Procedures
- Wound healing
- Lymphatic procedures
- The study of reconstructive and aesthetic surgery
- Electrically based dermal treatments;